Monday, September 28, 2009

Week 42

Everybody-

Ecuafact: They don´t have sprinklers in Ecuador. The city waters the grass with a water truck than has a fire hose. It´s pretty entertaining to watch!


Well, this was one of those weeks that wasn´t the greatest but makes for some interesting Homecoming talk stories.

First of all, I thought that you would all be interested to know that one of our Mamita´s (member families who feed us lunch) has a restaurant and we have lunch with them every Tuesday. Anyway, as I was eating imagine my horror when a cockroach crawled accross my spoon. Yeah, really. Get this, I didn´t even scream, just kept eating. How desensitized am I? YIIIIKKKKEEESSS!!!


Also here in Ecuador, I really don´t have much chances to Bible bash because most people don´t know the bible. The evangelists seemed to come out of the woodwork this week! While making a street contact we presented the Book of Mormon, I started to doubt my spanish skills because he was suddenly unintelligible. Turns out it was just the "gift of tongues". Ummmhmmm. Yeah, we got out of there.

Doesn´t end there though, later we were invited to study the bible with another street contact. Turns out it was really a chance to save some poor mormon girls from being damned. The first scripture read was Galatians 1:6-8 which reads:

"6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel—
7 not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ.
8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed."

They pretty much damned us. My companion took it pretty hard and cried off and on the rest of the day. I thought it was pretty cool. She wanted to continue to bash, but I got us out of there as soon as I could.

Marina will not be getting baptized, her husband retracted his permission! I´m pretty upset about it. I don´t think any one person should be able to excercise that kind of control over another, but what can I do?

We have a nice pool of new investigators though, especially Monica Freire. She came with us to the Relief Society broadcast and she really liked it. Anyway, we are hoping she will be ready for baptism soon. Keep us in your prayers!

Love from Ecuador,

Hermana Whitney Tanner

No comments: