Wednesday, May 21, 2008

What I learned from my father.



Some of you know my father, and if you do you know that he is a financial genius. My dad is so good at what he does that a certain women’s group asked him to come and talk to them about dying. No joke, dying. Death probably seems like something you really can't plan for, trust me you can. He's got about 7 binders full of things relevant to dying. It's borderline obsessive compulsive, but at least he'll be good at it. Growing up we learned all about money. I'm sure he thinks he failed to impart that knowledge to me seeing as I'm in possession of a Nordstrom card, which to my father is cardinal sin #1. In spite of that, I was actually listening.

Money is something our generation takes deeply for granted. In the age of plastic it's easy to forget that we actually need the cash to back our purchases up. All of our lives we have been cautioned against incurring debt. It is easy to see why with all of the turmoil and crisis around us especially in the last year. The time has seriously come to get on it. The cost of food and fuel are rapidly rising, making it abundantly clear that now is the time to get out of debt. We live in uncertain times, and now is the time to prepare for even worse times ahead.

7 comments:

Loquacious Leslie said...

You are so right. Dad will be glad to know that you were only pretending to be sleeping through his lectures...

Loquacious Leslie said...

Did you mean one of the many things you have learned or one of the many fathers you have had?

MEL said...

So sad, so true.

Unknown said...

I do not think it is borderline ocd, I think it is OCD!!! I loved that lecture on death.

lyn. said...

I heard on the radio today that young people are getting deep into credit card debt from buying gasoline...
}-:

Maybe that women's group could set up a lecture tour for your dad to set everyone straight on finances!
{-:

Brent & Kimberly said...

Sounds like you're turning into a financial guru yourself. No more $300.00 leather purses?

Whitney Tanner said...

Haha, yeah right KP! My last one was more than that! I'll just try to not buy them as often.