Monday, October 26, 2009

Week 46

Everybody-

Javier Jojoa continues to be my favorite person in the world. He accompanied us again this Sunday even though he had to perform surgery at 2:00am the night before. He is also going to be recieving the Melquesidek Priesthood this coming Sunday- I think he might be getting an important calling this week too. Anyway, I´m so grateful that I have this time with my converts right now, because I usually leave my sector before I can see them progress. It isn´t every case that progresses so well like Javier.

We got the chance to talk to Javier´s sister, Natalia, this week also. She is still on track to recieve her baptism. I hope I´m here to see Javier baptize her!

Marisela is also doing much better. When we called her to set up an appointment she told us that she couldn´t because she had gone to Guayaquil because she wanted to see the temple! She went on a whim. I really have been so blessed with the people I´ve been able to know here in Ambato. It´s definitely one of my favorite places in the world.

We had a nice spiritual experience this week as well. For some reason we started walking in the wrong direction the other day, and when I realized it we decided to keep going. Not a minute later a woman stopped us, who it turns out is one of the first members of the church here in Ecuador. She told us that there was a friend of her´s in her shop who was really depressed and wanted to listen to the missionaries. So we were able to meet Maruja (Ma-rue-ha), who really does desperately need the comfort that the gospel brings. We also know Carmelina (who attends our Ward) now, who always gives us hot chocolate when we stop by!

As most of you know my little ward, Recreo, has been having some problems. It´s been pretty interesting for me, a Utah Mormon, to see how everything has gone down. The church has sent not one, but two of the Seventy to try to help work things out. This week we had the priviledge of hearing from Elder Torres, from Colombia. He was great, and fortunately the ward was able to work out all of their differences with our new Bishop. It got a little heated though, Elder Torres said to our Bishop: "Te falta todavĂ­a para ser obispo". or " You still lack as a Bishop". He´s the type of person who is compelled to be humble. He seems to be making some pretty great strides in humility this week though! My companion are feeling a lot lighter now that this burden has been resolved.

Javier Borja and his family are progressing really well! Mostly Monica, she does all of the reading and always has so many questions. We are at a bit of a stand-still with Javier, he doesn´t really want to quit drinking. Working on it!

I´ve been a little under-the-weather this week with what Javier calls Gringo-fievre, or Gringo fever. He says that all the gringo´s get it when they come to Latin America. Nausea, stomach pain, and ironically enough no fever! I seem to be completely recovered now!

Thank you for all your love and support!

Hermana Tanner

1 comment:

Loquacious Leslie said...

Sounds like you are doing well and things are hopping as usual!